Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Heart and Soul of an Athlete




Some of the most powerful images I've seen are those from sports. If the photographer is lucky enough to capture those quick moments, he/she is left with an image that shows great honesty, vulnerability, and intensity. Some athletes make it look easy, but if you watch carefully, there is a lot of emotion swirling around on the court/field/rink/arena/etc.. I love capturing the stray moments. I love freezing that moment in time when an athlete's heart and competitive soul breaks free.

The beauty of photography is having the ability to selfishly freeze moments in time that you'd like to remember forever and revisit from time to time. It's a way to pinpoint exact emotions and expressions; it's a way to showcase a facet of oneself that my not be regularly on display. I love photographing sports and action because I feel as though I'm tapping into something special. If "a picture is worth a thousand words," then I'd like to produce volumes.

As a person who loves puzzles, one of the best parts about photographing sports is finding ways to bring the action to life in new and interesting ways. It's about more than just documenting what is happening; it's about capturing an image that allows whomever is looking at the picture later to feel as though they were there, right in the thick of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment